Welcome to the site of The Parish of Monkwearmouth, Sunderland in the Diocese of Durham.
Formed on the 1st of January 1997 from the former Parishes of St. Peter’s, All Saints’ and St. Andrew’s, the Parish comprises three churches.
St Peter's, Monkwearmouth built in 674AD by Benedict Biscop is one of the oldest churches in Britain, where Christians have gathered for more than 1300 years. This is a place of worship and prayer, pilgrimage and mission.
All Saints’ Church built in 1849 five years after the Parish of All Saints’ was formed to provide additional accommodation within the Parish of Monkwearmouth. The Parish Church, St Peter’s had no free seats.
St Andrew’s, Roker built in 1907 following further development and the need for an additional place of worship in the area. St Andrew’s has earned the title of “Cathedral of the Arts and Crafts Movement.”